Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory masthead Search Jobs Phone Book U.S. Department of Energy logo Berkeley Lab masthead A-Z Index

Protective Services

Parking Permits and Enforcement

  1. For details on eligibility, please see the RPM. Parking policy questions should be directed to the Operations Directorate at [email protected], the  governing body responsible for the parking policy at LBNL.
  2. Getting a parking permit - new, updated, replacement, or stolen. 
    1. To get a new, replacement, or updated parking permit, contact the Site Access Office and bring the following:
      1. LBNL Badge
      2. Valid Driver's License
      3. Old Permit (for replacement and updated permits)
      4. Vehicle Information (make, model, year, color, and license plate number)
        Employees may renew their vehicle information on the Employee Self-Service page.
      5. Dated stickers will be required on Lab parking hangtags beginning in January 2019. New stickers will be issued each calendar year (similar to the annual DMV sticker you put on your license plate). This parallels the new policy of adding expiration dates to newly issued badges. If you haven't added the yearly sticker to the hangtag by January 14, Security will hand out warnings. The stickers will be required for entry beginning January 31. No annual sticker is needed for bicycle or motorcycle parking stickers at this time.
    2. Only one parking permit may is issued to an eligible person who requests one.
    3. Exceptions are made for motorcycle and bicycle permits, which may be issued in addition to an automobile permit
    4. Download your Stack Parking Information Card here.
  • Forgotten Permit. Persons who forget their parking permit may request a temporary one-day parking permit at the entry gate. The issuance of a temporary parking permit will be reported to Site Access.
  • Return of Parking Permit on Termination of Employment.  Parking permits are the property of the Laboratory and must be returned to the employee's division office or the Badge Office Site Access Office, no later than the last day of employment. If the permit holder leaves after hours, parking permits can also be turned in to the security officer at the entry gates.
  • Vehicle Registration –
    1. Employees eligible for a motorcycle or parking permit must register their vehicle information to the Site Access Office before receiving a permit.
    2. The vehicle information required is the make, model, year, color, and license plate number.
  • Construction Parking Permits & Construction IDs.
    1. The Project Managers (PM) must communicate with the Security and Site Access Specialist for newly identified laydown areas.
    2. The PM must identify the number of parking spaces for each laydown area. 
    3. The Security & Site Access Specialist will only issue the amount of construction parking permits identified by the PM.
    4. Any changes to construction locations for laydown or phase updates will be communicated to the Security and Site Access Specialist.
    5. The PMs will determine whether the construction worker will be issued a construction parking permit and/or construction ID card.
    6. The PMs must submit a Construction ID/Parking Request Form to the Security and Site Access Specialist for issuance of a construction parking permit or construction ID card.
    7. For construction parking permits, the PMs must also submit a copy of the construction worker's valid driver's license.
    8. For construction ID cards, the PMs must also submit a copy of the construction workers valid photo identification.
    9. Construction parking permits and construction IDs are valid for 6 months at a time. 
    10. The Security & Site Access Specialist will notify the PM when the construction parking permit or construction ID is ready to be picked up.
    11. The PM or the construction worker may pick up the construction parking permit or the construction ID.
  • Parking Policy Enforcement:
    • The University of California Police Department (UCPD) conducts traffic and parking enforcement patrols throughout LBNL. UCPD patrols may issue parking citations for vehicles and drivers observed to be violating the California Vehicle Code.
    • Please see the RPM.
  • Temporary Handicap Parking:
    • LBNL makes every effort to accommodate disabled drivers by making appropriate parking spaces available. Persons possessing a disabled person parking placard from the California Department of Motor Vehicles can park in any available disabled or blue triangle parking spot. Persons newly disabled or with short-term disabilities can get an LBNL temporary disabled parking permit for up to 30 days, as described below.
      • STEP 1: Employee seeking temporary handicapped parking will visit Health Services in B-26. After your consultation, Health Services will provide you an authorization for temporary handicapped parking, if warranted. You must obtain a state disabled person parking placard from any DMV office for periods beyond 30 days.
      • STEP 2: Employee will take the form from Health Services to the Site Access Office in B-65A. You will provide the Site Access Office the Health Services form and you will be provided a temporary handicapped blue triangle-parking pass.
      • STEP 3: This pass provides you access to blue triangle or handicapped parking for 30 days. Many of our buildings do not have handicapped parking adjacent to the building or convenient to you. *Your building manager can assist Security in identify a parking spot to accommodate your temporary disability.
Site Access
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
MailStop 65A0101
1 Cyclotron Road
Berkeley, CA 94720
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: +1-510-486-4551
Fax: +1-510-495-2700