Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory masthead Search Jobs Phone Book U.S. Department of Energy logo Berkeley Lab masthead A-Z Index

Protective Services


Here are some frequently asked questions. For other concerns, please contact

Q: Where is the Site Access Office and when is it open?
A: We are located in Bldg. 65A and are open Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 3:30 pm, 486-4551.


Q: I want to visit the Laboratory, how do I get access?
A: Visitors coming to the laboratory need to be granted access by a host contact. Laboratory hosts or hosting division will notify the Site Access Office by using the form at For information about tours, visit the Visitor Information web site.


Q: I am organizing a large meeting/conference. How do I arrange gate access and parking?
A: Please refer to LBNL Meeting/Conference Procedures for general information and a "LBNL Meeting/Conference Notification" form. Contact the Site Access Office for specific information (486-4551).


Q: I am new at the lab.  How do I obtain an ID Proximity access card?
A: New employees are issued the new ID Proximity access card after the start appointment. Participating Guests and Contractors will be issued ID Proximity access card after their current appointment is entered into the Human resources database. Contact your HR administrative support person for information regarding current appointment status.


Q: I already have an ID Proximity access card.   How do I get it activated for access to my building?
A: Please visit the Security Access Manager web site to identify the authorizer for access for your building and division. All access is de-centralized.


Q: Why does my proximity card no longer allow me access to my building?
A: If you have had prior access to any building, there are two possibilities:

  • First, check to make sure your LBNL appointment status is current in the HR database. If your LBNL appointment end date has expired, then your access will be suspended. It will be necessary to contact your HR administrative support person, so that current information is reflected in the database.
  • The other possibility is a faulty card. Please contact the Site Access Office at x4551 or email

Q: What do I do with my parking permit and ID card when I terminate my employment at the Lab?
A: Either return to your supervisor or HR Center, or mail to Site Access, mailstop 65A0101.


Site Access
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
MailStop 65A0101
1 Cyclotron Road
Berkeley, CA 94720
Phone: +1-510-486-4551
Fax: +1-510-495-2700